Whotopia is looking for an enthusiastic, imaginative, and creative person as Editor.
WHOTOPIA is the Canadian fan magazine dedicated to the greater Doctor Who universe (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures, K-9, Class). Each issue delves into all aspects of each series featuring original interviews, in-depth and light-hearted articles, reviews, analysis, and much more.
Your duties will include, but may not be limited to:
- Works closely with the Senior Editor and Publisher.
- Commissions articles/features and stories from in-house writers or freelancers.
- In conjunction with the Senior Editor, helps develop and draft theme for each issue.
- Generating ideas for articles and features with writing staff.
- Selecting articles for issues and planning publication contents.
- Selecting feature articles for each issue.
- Reading, writing and researching features and articles.
- Editing and re-writing articles, some of which may be rejected or returned to the writer for revision.
- Proofreading all pages before going to press (this includes proofing PDF proof copy).
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Receive draft articles; edit draft articles according to Whotopia house style and guidelines; return edited drafts to writers; receive green light/final edits from writers; proof final drafts and upload finalized articles to Dropbox.
- Solicits new writers, artists.
- Supervising staff, including freelance writers, and setting deadlines.
- Assists in helping to raise the profile of the magazine.
- Write issue editorial (approximately 500 words) introducing the issue; in addition to editorial, provide article(s) for each issue.
- Assist in the writing of promotional materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be able to work well with others – team player.
- Excellent editing skills.
- Familiar with the greater Doctor Who universe, its history, its characters, etc.
- Familiar with using social media (Facebook, Twitter, blogs, forums, message boards, etc.).
- Imaginative, enthusiastic, creative, open to new ideas, resourceful.
- Must be able to meet and adhere to deadlines.
- Possess a good command of the English language; speaks and writes English fluently.
- Prior experience with editing, preferably in editing magazine articles (optional).
Please reply with your full name and email contact, outlining your past editing/writing experience and why you feel you would be an ideal candidate for the post.
Applicants are also asked to include sample(s) of their writing in Word or PDF format.
Deadline: September 30, 2021
Submit application to: